Requirements and Limitations
- Full backups should be scheduled in such a way that at least one full backup occurs within the shortest keeping period
- The GFS policy is applied to successful restore points only
This means the following: if you enabled the weekly keeping period, at least once a week a full backup must occur. If you enabled monthly and/or keeping period, at least once a month a full backup must occur.
The GFS policy has some limitations. View the limitation list below:
- The GFS retention policy is introduced in version 7.1 of Backup for Windows. Update your software if required
- The GFS retention policy is not supported for legacy backup format
- The GFS retention policy is not supported for Hyper-V, MS SQL, and MS Exchange backups