Step 9. Pre / Post Actions
Customize actions before and/or after the backup plan execution.
Execute Custom Scripts
You can execute custom scripts before or after running the backup plan.
- To specify the script execution before the backup plan starts, select the Pre-backup action check box, then specify the path to the script in the field below. To open a standard Windows dialog box, click the ... button
- Select the pre-backup script execution options:
- Exit backup plan if pre-backup action failed. Select this option to cancel the backup plan in case the specified script fails
- Continue backup plan if pre-backup action failed. Select this option to run the backup plan regardless of the specified script execution results
- To specify the script execution after the backup plan terminates, select the Post-backup action check box, then specify the path to the script in the field below. To open a standard Windows dialog box, click the ... button
- Select the post-backup script execution options:
- Execute post-backup action only if backup plan has been successfully completed. Select this option to execute the post-backup script only in case of a backup plan success
- Execute post-backup action regardless of the backup result. Select this option to execute the post-backup script in any case
Note that an absolute path to a script is required, i.e. if you specify the path to a script, it should be as follows:
In case the absolute path to a script file is not specified, the default directory for the script is "C:\Windows\System32"
The following script formats are supported: EXE, COM, BAT, CMD, or PIF
Mind that CloudBerry Backup supports EXE file execution with several restrictions: EXE script files must not use GUI and must close automatically upon script termination.
For example, the following script execution will be failed:
In this case, this command must be used with the /C parameter, as shown below:
cmd.exe /F:ON /C
The same restriction applies to applications executed by PowerShell scripts:
PowerShell.exe Start-Process cmd.exe exit
It is recommended to perform a test run for the created backup plan to ensure that CloudBerry Backup properly executes specified scripts.
Backup Plan Chains
In case you need to run another backup or restore plan once the backup plan is finished, use the Backup Chain feature. To create a backup chain, select the Backup chain check box, then select a backup or restore plan to be chained.
- Run the selected plan if this backup plan completes with success. Select this option to execute the chained plan only in case of a backup plan success
- Run the selected plan regardless of this backup completion result. Select this option to execute the chained plan in any case
Specify the mode for the chained plan (applies to backup plans only).
- To run a full backup for the chained plan, select the Force Full Backup option
- To apply the current plan settings for the chained plan, select the Use settings of the current plan option. Thus, if a current plan execution was incremental, the chained plan execution will also be an incremental one. If a current plan execution was full, the chained plan will be performed as a full backup
To learn more about the full backup type, refer to the Full Backup Explained chapter
Click Next to proceed the Notifications and Logging step.