Step 5. Select Virtual Machines
Select virtual machines for your backup plan. The following options are available:
- Back up all virtual machines on the ESXi server
- Back up only virtual machines that are currently running
- Back up only specific virtual machines
- If you want to use the Changed Block Tracking feature, select the Use Changed Block Tracking check box.
Changed Block Tracking is an incremental backup technology for VMware virtual machines. To learn more about CBT, refer to Change Block Tracking on Virtual Machines article at vmware.com.
- If you want to use quiesced snapshots for your backup plan, select Quiesce guest file system check box. Note that you need VMware Tools installed.
Quiescing a file system is a process of bringing the on-disk data of a physical or virtual computer into a state suitable for backups. This process might include such operations as flushing dirty buffers from the operating system's in-memory cache to disk, or other higher-level, application-specific tasks. To learn more about quiesced snapshotting, refer to Understanding VM snapshots in ESXi article at vmware.com.
Click Next to proceed.