Get Started with Backup for Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace
This chapter describes the first steps for creating your Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace backup. Read this to get your first impression on how it works:
- Sign In to Backup for Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace
- Configure your administrative account
- Configure your subscription
- Configure your backup
Sign In for Microsoft 365
- Open Dashboard on https://apps.msp360.com/office
- Select the required product edition (Business or Personal), then click Sign in with Office. Please be careful, do not use your personal email address for sign in to Business product edition.
- Specify your credentials for Microsoft 365 to access the dashboard. Refer to Dashboard chapter for more information on the dashboard.
Sign In for Google
- Open Dashboard on https://apps.msp360.com/office
- Select the required product edition (Business or Personal), then click Sign in with Google. Please be careful, do not use your personal email address for sign in to Business product edition.
Specify your Google credentials to access the dashboard. Refer to Dashboard chapter for more information.
Configure Trusts for Google Backup
Configure trusts for apps.mspbackups.com requested by Google as described:
Sign in to https://admin.google.com/ with your super administrator.
Click Main Menu > Security > Access and data control > API Controls > Manage Third-Party App Access
Add two MSP Google Apps Backup web applications with the following OAuth Client IDs to the trusted applications: 101545705208641292657
The following access type should be selected for both applications: Trusted: Can access all Google Services
After you have added both applications you can see them in Connected apps grid with Trusted status
Configure Your Administrative Account
To start working with Backup for Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace, configure your administrative account:
- Open Dashboard
- In user menu select My Account
- In Contact Info area provide your contact data
- In Set up alternate email area add an alternate email. A strong password for alternate email is required. We will send an email message to specified alternate email for verification purposes. To confirm your alternate email address, please click on the provided link or copy and paste the provided URL in a new browser window.
- It is recommended to turn on Two-Factor Authentication (2FA).
- In Set up storage area click edit icon to add your storage account
- Configure a storage account to create your backup destination
- Select your storage provider in Storage Type field
- Complete the provided form. Required data depends on your storage provider requirements.
- Click Test button if you want to check whether you have access to the storage. You will see Successfully connected in case your access is confirmed.
- Once you are done with editing, click Save and confirm your settings.
Long-Term Storage Usage
In case your storage destination is a long-term one (this can be S3 Glacier, S3 Deep Archive, or Azure Archive storage classes), note that these storage classes have several limitations.
- Lingering retrieval time of a backup content (depends on storage provider). Thus, the restore plan that requires data retrieval from the cold storage classes can take up to 48 hours (for AWS Glacier Deep Archive storage class)
- Retrieval costs. Basically, the data retrieval operations are not free and can be costly depending on the retrieval type and the amount of data to be restored.
Product comes with 15 days trial with limited 3GB storage limit for assessment purposes. As soon as trial period ends or storage limit is exceeded you will need to purchase a subscription for every user you want add to backup project. In case you use Personal product edition you are the only user of this product. In case you use Business product edition, check whether you have enough available licenses for your users. You can see list of users in the grid on Users. Select the subscription plan you need on Payments. The following plans are available:
- Premium 1 month
- Premium 6 months
- Premium 1 year
Select the required plan and click Subscribe to proceed with payment. You can request a discount for non-profit, educational projects.
Refer to Licensing for details.
Add Users for Business Product Edition
All users included in your domain appear in the user grid.
To Access User grid:
- In the horizontal menu bar, select Users.
- In the actions menu to the right click Sync Domain to see the up-to-date list of users.
- Select the users you want to add to the backup and restore routines
- Enable backup for the selected users on the pane to the right.
- Click Add All to Backup to add all enabled users to the backup and restore routines.
Configure Your Backup
You can configure your backup services using Configure Backup button.
- In the main menu, switch to the home tab.
- Click Configure Backup button.
- Select the Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace service you want to back up, then turn the backup for this service on. By default, the backup in turned off for all services.
- Sign in to the product as admin
- Grant required permissions for the application, as requested by Microsoft Office or Google.
By default, the backup is scheduled to run at least twice a day automatically.
Backing Up By Service
Backup for Microsoft 365 / Google Workspace enables backup jobs separated by service. To select services to back up, open the control panel, then click Configure Backup. Select services required to back up for the user, then click Save.
To apply backup configuration to all enabled users, select Apply to enabled users check box below the backup configuration area
Your basic backup configuration is ready. The backup is scheduled to run at least twice a day automatically.