For Image-based type of backups, MSP360 (CloudBerry) Backup offers the restore verification feature. Restore verification creates and runs a test restore plan that downloads a part of the backed up data required to start a test Windows VM created with Windows Hyper-V.
The restore verification feature enables to check backup integrity before the full backup restore to a real Windows machine.
|Windows version||8 or later|
|Windows Server version||2008 or later|
To learn how to manage Hyper-V, refer to the Virtualization article at docs.microsoft.com.
- The Hyper-V cannot be installed on Windows 10 Home
- For a test virtual machine, in the current user temporary folder, Windows creates the Virtual Hard Drive file (.vhdx file). By default, the user temporary folder is located on drive C. To make sure the test virtual machine works properly, check that the C: drive has enough free space.
Using the Restore Verification Feature
To check an image-based backup integrity, perform the following steps:
- In the Home pane, switch to the Backup Storage tab.
- In the list of backups, select an image-based backup to check.
- Right-click the backup, the select Restore Verification (BETA):
This action creates and runs a test restore plan that will start a Windows VM using a part of the backed up data downloaded from the cloud storage. To check that the test virtual machine is running, see its state in the preview:
- Optionally, to log on into VM, click the Open Hyper-V VMC link.